This is roughly the same as the passport process, but does not have the same associated costs.

General process:

  • Find a doctor in your area who is willing to write and sign an official letter.
  • Take the letter to your local social security administration office, along with proof of citizenship and proof of identity.
  • In twenty-four hours, your gender marker should be changed on your card.

Additional Resources: Transgender Law Center’s Identity Documents Resources