You may need to make a deeply personal and absolutely important decision about how you want to proceed in this climate.  There is nothing wrong with deciding to be open about your identity, but it’s also okay if you were to decide to be quiet about your identity until it were safer to be vocal about it.

If you’re having suicidal thoughts, please contact a support system such as The Trevor Project (1-866-488-7386) or Trans Lifeline (1-877-565-8860)

Consider legal marriage distinct from your wedding planning, and consider getting legally married as soon as possible if you’re in the planning stages.  Marriage annulment is a distinct process from marriage issuance, and we’re very likely to see setbacks on the latter.

Familiarize yourself with the names and numbers of legal protection groups, which will be working to provide advice, materials, and support over the coming months:

National groups:

Local groups, by location:

If you are a same-sex couple with children, consider a co-parent or second-parent adoption to solidify your joint parental rights. The Human Rights Campaign has an overview on second parent adoption. Nolo, a useful resource for many legal and bureaucratic issues, has information on gay and lesbian adoption and parenting.

If you’re married, get non-marriage legal documents taken care of in case the rights which go along with your marriage status are threatened.

  • Healthcare proxy
  • Power of attorney
  • Beneficiaries of policies
  • Last will and testament (to ensure your spouse has a legal claim to your assets in the event of annulment)

Check the laws in your state to see what makes a valid last will. Make sure you make it air-tight and non-contestable. Get a lawyer if you can.

Nolo teamed up with Quicken to make an easy-to-use software program, Quicken WillMaker Plus 2017, which helps you create legally valid wills, healthcare directives, durable powers of attorney, executor documents, etc.

If federal same-sex marriage is invalidated by this administration, it might create disruption in residency process or status application for people who obtained legal status by same-sex spousal sponsorship. Couples navigating this potential issue should create an action plan. This should also include co-parent adoption immediately as per above.

If you are living with HIV/AIDS make sure to speak with a local clinic, your doctor, or insurance provider to identify reliable sources from which to continue receiving your medications at a reasonable cost or for free. If you do not know your status, get tested at a local clinic or with your doctor.

Also, we’ve got a whole page of Tips for Trans People.